top of page
  • Mount Echo

Women’s Basketball Battles Wagner in Double Overtime

On March 5, the Mount St. Mary’s women’s basketball team took on Wagner on the road in Staten Island for their final regular season game before the NEC tournament. Following their 62-73 loss to Wagner the day before, the Mount came ready to fight for redemption. The game started with a quick first bucket from Wagner’s Emilija Grava. Grava would go on to lead the game in scoring, racking up 32 points for herself while shooting almost 60% from the floor.

Struggling to hit their shots at the start of the game, Kendall Bresee (C'21) broke the ice for the Mount hitting a toughly contested fade away jumper in the middle of the first quarter.

After shooting only 25% in the first quarter the Mount came back reenergized with a steal and quick bucket from Michaela Harrison (C'22). Although Grava continued to perform well in the paint, the Mount’s improved shooting, including a strong three to close out the second quarter, brought the Mount within three points of Wagner going into the second half.

Shortly into the third quarter the Mount took their first lead of the game with a layup from Rebecca Lee (C'21), putting them up 35-34. Shooting 100% from the free throw line during the third quarter the Mount kept the score close with the lead switching back and forth several times. However, consistent scoring from Grava helped put Wagner up by three going into the fourth quarter.

At the start of the fourth quarter Wagner started to pull away, but a fast break layup and follow up three pointer from Bridget Birkhead (C'21) brought the game back to a tie. Late in the fourth quarter Aryna Taylor (C'23) sunk three consecutive free throws after getting fouled outside the arc and Brikhead hit a clutch pull up three to send the game into overtime.

In overtime good scoring from Harrison and Taylor put the Mount up by five with only about a minute and a half left. However, Wagner managed to fight back and tie the game when Khaleah Edwards knocked down a three with a little over 30 seconds left on the clock. With a tight second overtime the Mount came within two with only 24 seconds left in the game. However, with Wagner potentially getting the final possession of the game, the Mount was forced to foul and Edwards sunk two more free throws. The final score was 68-73. Harrison and Taylor led the Mount in scoring, garnering 18 and 15 points respectively and Bresee led the game with an impressive 12 rebounds.


bottom of page