top of page
  • Elvis Trujillo

Mount Men’s Soccer Woes Continue After Saint Francis Loss

After a 1-0 loss to Saint Francis University on Oct. 14, the defeat is now the sixth straight loss for the Mountaineers. With a hopeful anticipation of winning, Mount did not achieve the win. At the 53rd minute, the Red Flash scored an opportunistic goal, but it was a strong defensive match played by two tough rivals. In the previous match against Sacred Heart, the Mountaineers lost 1-0 as well. With five more games left in the schedule, the Mount Men’s Soccer team hopes for fortunes to turn.

As the whistle blew, Mount Goalkeeper Adam Siviter was in the goal awaiting the roar of the crowd. On the other side of the field was Goalkeeper Jonas Dieseler for the Red Flash. Excitement, competition and passion were in the air ravishing through the stands like a hurricane.

With only 56 seconds on the clock, Mount Midfielder Jack Shearer committed the first foul of the match. This was not the only foul committed in the first half by both teams. In the first half, the Mountaineers committed seven fouls, while the Red Flash committed two.

The first shot on goal in the first half came from Saint Francis Forward Lorenz Ender. The ball was saved, however, by Goalkeeper Adam Siviter. The second shot on goal came from Saint Francis Midfielder Simon Luchinger, who shot it to the bottom right corner but was saved by Siviter. Throughout the first half of the game, Mount shot two unsuccessful attempts at goal, in contrast to the Red Flash’s six shots. The Mountaineers, however, saved four shots in the first half. The score remained 0-0.

As the second half commenced, both teams came out with new energy. In less than five minutes into the second half, three corner kicks were given to Saint Francis. All three kicks were unsuccessful. In the 53rd minute, the Red Flash scored the first and only goal of the game. It was shot by St. Francis Forward Patrick Hernon and assisted by Forward Jeff Thielman. In the 82nd minute, Hernon was booked a yellow card. This would be the last piece of action for the match, for it would end in a 1-0 loss for the Mountaineers.

When asked about what could have gone better for the Mount team, Associate Mount Head Coach Trevor Singer, said, “Overall, we needed to be more dangerous in the final third, take more chances/risks, and ultimately create more goal scoring chances. We didn’t do enough on the offensive end throughout the game.”

When being asked “is there any changes that the team is looking for next game?” he said, “We have to be more of a threat in the final third and discipline defensively. We have made a few personnel changes. We have some guys back from injuries and Dominik Topolsky is now getting a lot of minutes for us. He should have an impact immediately.”

The Mountaineers take on Howard in their next match on Oct. 17. They will be looking to break the losing streak and pull out a much-needed victory.


bottom of page